December 24, 2011

letters to santa...


Some of my fondest memories as a child around Christmas time was the yearly letter to Santa. I remember eagerly anticipating my mom bringing home the special papers to write our letters on. See, when I was a kid Santa would read our letters on t.v. I don't remember him ever reading my letter or my sisters, but it was fun to sit in front of the t.v. at 4:30 and listen to Santa in hopes he would get to our letters.
He would sit by the window at the North Pole in a big old chair, with oodles of presents around him and the snow falling outside the window. He was big and jolly; as Santa should be, and would read the letters out of a sack by his feet. Its funny how all these years later I can still see him clearly in that scene. His twinkling eyes and red cheeks, big full beard and his glasses perched upon his nose... good memories.
Of course back then it was all about material things, I love that I can look back and remember that. What new toy everyone wanted, asking Santa for it in hopes it would appear under the tree. Now years later I couldn't care less what's under the tree, but who's sitting around it with me. I think we were too little to actually grasp the concept, but I do remember being surrounded by grandparents and cousins, aunts and uncles eating good food and having a good time. Appreciating what we had and realizing there were others out there not so fortunate.

These cards are a tribute to those letters to Santa all those years ago. That feeling of wonderment and believing. I remember the year I found out there wasn't a Santa, courtesy of an older sibling of a friend.. I think it was too soon, now that I think about it. Such a shame that a part of the magical feeling of Christmas was gone. I hope one day when I have children of my own to keep that belief alive as long as possible.. there's few things in life that hold such a magical feeling as Santa and Christmas did back then.

Wishing all of you and yours a very Merry and Magical Christmas!
~Becks

1 comment:

  1. Sob beautiful Becks ... have a wonderful Christmas xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving some love! I appreciate it a lot!! :D